We’ve come upon yet another Football Friday. Last week’s hangover is over and it’s time to strap it on (no, not that, Feisty) and toss the pigskin around again. And you know how we like pigskin. And pork rinds. And what-not.
Anyway, my friend Chris sent me this column on men shaking pom-poms at football games and it really got me a-thinkin’. Especially since I’ve been known to hoist a shaker or two in celebration of a touchdown/sack/interception/beating in my day. Really, how gay is it to shake a pom-pom, and is it really unique to SEC men?
Hmmmm. How dare he drag the good name of the Cougars through the mud, Tiny E?
This is a disturbing analysis. I assumed that this was a nationwide tradition – dare I say, a patriotic duty. Seems I’ve been misled. It gets worse.
I’m going to have to think long and hard before shaking my pom-pom tomorrow at the Marshall game. Maybe I’ll just shake it a little, see how it feels, then decide whether or not to continue shaking it. I mean, if you just shake it a little, that doesn’t make you gay does it? I hate it when my firmly established worldview gets kicked in the nads.
Speaking of Marshall, they’ll go down to the Great Pumpkin’s orange warriors tomorrow, 33 – 10. I’ll be there with Preston Jr. We’ll be the ones in the orange shirts. Elsewhere in college ball…
- Arkansas 23 Alabama 17 – Alabama will be brought back to earth by this horrendous upset.
- Ohio State 34 Penn State 21 – Ohio State will continue to separate itself from the Big Ten pack. And the further you can get away from the Big Ten, the better.
- Notre Dame 27 Michigan State 21 – Even though the Irish Hype Machine™ has run out of gas, they’ll be able to squeak by the Spartans.
- Georgia 55 Colorado 2 – This might have been a good game back in the 90s.
In the pros, it’s adios to Volek and it should be adios for Favre. Let’s face it, if Brett cared about the franchise, he would have retired in the offseason. Hang up the cleats, Brett. Sure, you’re a legend, but all legends eventually outlive their usefulness. You’re going on two years past that point.
This week, the Titans will go down to the Dolphins 31 – 10. Elsewhere in the pros…
- Jags 22 Colts 20 – The Manning House of Cards will come tumbling down as the Jags’ defense puts the smack down on the Dolts.
- Da Bears 31 Vikings 21 – This classic NFC Central battle will further prove that the Bears are for real this year.
- Pittsburgh 28 Cincinnati 20 – The Steelers will bounce back this week and momentarily derail the Bengals. This will be a playoff preview game.
- Pats 26 Broncos 21 – Pats will stay undefeated after the Horsies come a-callin’.