I am re-posting this Football Friday Flashback from September of 2008. Our brother Nigel and I had a bet over the UCLA/UT game (one in which UCLA humiliated us on national television), after which, Nigel sent me a UCLA shirt to post on the blog. We found out this weekend that Nigel passed away after a battle with cancer and though we are heartbroken for his wife and boy, we know the example that he has set as a man of God means that he has been called home. Our prayers go out Nigel’s family.
Where all the people have went?
It was a mysterious week last week at Neyland Stadium. The family and I had a good time, but home-opener attendance had to be in the low 80K’s. Even in the dark days of 2005 I don’t remember seeing this many empty seats. I had a feeling something was up when we kept walking by scalpers offering “buy one, get one free”. Not a good sign for the UT A.D.
Unfortunately, after this week’s slaughter, scalpers will be paying you to take the tickets off their hands. Gaytors 44 Vols 21. Some folks are still convinced that Fulmer has one more rabbit to pull out of his hat, but I believe that the rabbit he’s going to pull out is going to have been dead for weeks and will be covered in maggots.
Last week I did pretty well, going 4/5, but was dead wrong on ND/Michigan. Didn’t see that coming.
- LSU 22 Auburn 14 – Auburn looked a lot worse than I expected against Mississippi State. Expect an LSU victory. This will give Auburn something to be pissed off about next week when the Vols crest the hills of Opelika.
- Sun Devils 27 Georgia 24 – Stafford is not the horse that Kelley Washington was. Overrated Bulldaggas go down in the desert. Or possibly not.
- Alabama 28 Arkansas 17 – It’s the battle of the SEC teams with exactly the same uniforms. I can never tell who has the ball in this one so I’m not watching.
- Ole Miss 19 Vandy 14 – Ole Miss still has the hottest – and dumbest – chicks in the SEC. Oh, and they’ll win this one.
When Jeff Fisher announced last week that we’ll be staying with Kerry Collins into the forseeable future, I thought it was the right move. Once VY spends a few weeks in therapy and learns that he’s not the center of the universe, we can move him back up to second string. The Titans’ defense is looking better than I expected – particularly up front – and even with Collins, I’m starting to smell playoffs.
Luckily, we have a week off this week – Titans 27 Texans 14.
I sucked out loud in last weeks pro picks – 2/5. Hopefully this week will be better.
- Dallas 34 Packers 31 – That Cowboys/Eagles game Monday night was excellent. This one should be just as good.
- Denver 24 ‘Aints 17 – I’m starting to think that Jay Cutler may indeed be the second coming of Elway. Or at least Craig Morton.
- Nigel’s Chargers 29 Jets 14 – If the refs don’t interfere in this one and try to fix the game for Brett “Golden Boy” Favre, the Chargers should roll.
- Eagles 31 Steelers 21 – The Steelers were underwhelming against the Browns last week and the Iggles actually looked pretty good. Steelers go down in the battle of Pennsyltucky.
UCLA BET UPDATE:
In fine Six Meat bet-losing tradition, I am making good on my promise to our brother Nigel. UCLA beat us down fair and square three weeks ago (and then lost to BYU 59-0, doesn’t that make us look even better) so it is my duty to don the UCLA colors. Thanks to Nigel for sending me the shirt.